Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February Update

I have started to teach English to the preschool children at mercy. They had their first lesson on Tuesday. I taught them about their body…head, arms, legs… Of course we did the head and shoulders knees and toes song which they like. They do it in Thai also. Then they glued paper cut out in shapes of body parts to make a body. They seemed to enjoy themselves and I will see what they remember when I go in again next week. Fortunately, they have a very good preschool teacher who knows a little English (just not enough to teach) and she will help them throughout the week with what I taught. Next week they are going to learn the letter s. We have the Jolly Phonics program and we are going to see how that works out with them.


We also have finally received the library program. I have started entering the data into the program but it will take a while. We are going to ask for volunteers from the church to help out with that so we can get it up and running as soon as possible.

I have also been asked to do grant research. I have to look up companies that might be willing to give to certain Mercy projects. It is a very time consuming process but I will see what I can find.

I am now taking a TEFL course online. Mercy has funded this for me as I am teaching the Mercy kids. It’s a 100 hour course and I can take up to 6 months to finish it but I don’t think it will take me nearly that long. I have submitted my first assignment and I am just waiting to get the marks back.

In Ban Chang (where I live), we have just discovered a slum. There is also a school right next door to it. The school has 155 children from k to 6. The only toys in the whole kindergarten class are a small bucket of building blocks (like Lego only not as good). Mercy has given me some toys and puzzles to give to that school which we will hopefully bring this week.

I am still enjoying the weather here. We have had lunch on the beach a couple times and I actually got a sunburn last week from being in the back of the truck too long. Anyone tired of the cold and snow should come for a visit. It really is lovely here.

No comments:

Post a Comment